Friday, July 24, 2009

Longaberger Dumpster Dive...


This is just the best! I won't forget this day for a long time. It started out as sort of a mission of mercy. A friend of mine cleans houses with her friend, and her friend was under the weather. I offered to help her clean today. I was looking forward to spending time together and being able to bless her.


On the way to clean the house this morning I had the most wonderful drive. I would never have imagined that driving across 116th St. between Carmel and Fishers at 7:30 am on a Friday morning could be so beautiful and enjoyable! The flowers on the Carmel side are just amazing. I even saw a yellow finch perched in the tall heather-like purple flowers! As I crossed the river it was foggy and the sun was coming through the fog in rays. It was beautiful! What a gift!
I arrived a few minutes before my friend. People were moving out of the house we were cleaning and there was a dumpster in the driveway. So, of course, I had to peek in to see if there was anything of interest. JACKPOT! There was some Longaberger baskets in there! I have not been a fan of the baskets for decorating...but I love them for their utility. I have received some as gifts....but I don't think I ever purchased one.
We did check to make sure that this really was a throw-away dumpster and we dived to get these three baskets and two pyrex lidded casseroles. As a pyrex collector I was so excited...also they are in two of my favorite colors! I couldn't get my friend to take any of the baskets. I think she just wanted me to be blessed with them. Enjoying God's creation, working with and enjoying a dear friend, and getting a super treat!
It was a God-Smile to me.

2 comments:

Donna's Book Nook said...

Isn't God awesome?! What a great day for you--and a great find! Not to mention that I'm sure you were a real blessing to your friend. Have a blessed day today!

Brenda said...

I LOVE this story! It made me happy for you! Your treasures are beautiful and in such great condition. They needed a home like yours! It is such a blessing to bless and to be blessed!