Thursday, April 24, 2008

A New Exercise Plan

When I was in the Dr.'s office this week waiting for my neighbor, I looked at a magazine called SHAPE (I think). It was an old issue, February, but all the other magazines were old, too. In it I found this neat exercise routine that takes 30 minutes. It was especially designed to do "anywhere" or "on the go". It takes only a jump rope and a 5 or 10 pound weight. This sounded like a great idea, jumping rope is so easy!! It was like this:

Warm up 4 min.
jump rope 2 min.
lunges 2 min.
weight lift 2 min.
squats 2 min
jump rope 2 min.
lunges, etc, etc....for 30 minutes

So the first thing I had to do was find a jump rope. Mark said we had some rope in the garage, so I found it and cut off a good sized piece. I took some scissors out with me, but they wouldn't work. I was so impatient, and wanted to get started jumping rope so I spied a hack saw, that was just what I needed to hack off a piece of rope!! Then I had to find a weight, Mark has some, but they are 15lbs and 20lbs. I chose the 15 lb.

By now it was 9 pm and I was starting to get tired, so I thought I better hurry and get my 30 minutes in. I couldn't find a clock, so I took my cell phone and 15 lb. weight and rope and went to the basement.

First I did the warm up, that went fine. I skipped, walked, marched around and got my heart rate up pretty well. The came the jump roping. It wasn't the way I remembered it! It was hard work, I kept tripping over the rope. I jumped for 30 seconds and looked at the clock, I thought it was 3 minutes worth. I was dying. Then came some lunges...ouchhhhhhhh!!! My knees were screaming. Then lifting that 15lb weight over my head and down, actually that was the easiest hard part. Then squats, I wasn't sure what a squat was, but I couldn't do it. I was totally out of balance. Now I'm back to jump roping, which I did for about 30 seconds and gave up on the whole thing. I think I was in the basement a total of 10 minutes.

This morning I was sore all over! I couldn't believe the places that hurt!

When I walked Charlie this morning I couldn't believe how wonderful a walk feels!!! I was flying on air! Today I walked the dog twice....

I can't decide if I'll go back down and try out the exercise routine again. But I have to get in shape before the Cousin Reunion in June at the Lake. I suppose we will be expected to wear a bathing suit? (Brenda, your 5K got me thinking)

No comments: